Life Care Plans: A Defensive Perspective
Methods for Deconstruction and Critical Analysis
Most life care plans [and life care planners] fail to credibly substantiate the medical opinions and quantitative conclusions they express. These common failures regularly jeopardize the same people life care plans are intended to help.
This paper presents a framework for deconstructing and critically analyzing life care plans.
To credibly substantiate medical damages, a life care plans must effectively address three basic questions:
- What is a subject’s condition?
- What medically-related goods and services does a subject’s condition require?
- How much will those goods and services cost over time?
Life care plans are medical assessments that provide definitive answers to these questions, but only if their medical opinions are formulated by someone with requisite capacity, and only if their conclusions are supported by a proper methodological framework.
This paper presents a systematic framework for deconstruction and critically analyzing life care plans for the purpose of assessing their validity and credibility.
The easy-to-follow framework presented in this document specifies a set of narrowly defined objectives, and consists of three imperative components:
- A Foundation
- A Superstructure
- A Set of Mechanics
The basic framework presented in this paper offers an effective means of deconstruction, analyzing and assessing the validity and credibility of these components, and thereby the validity and credibility of life care plans and their authors.
- 23 pages
- American Academy of Physician Life Care Planners
- Publication Date:
- Product Dimensions:
- 11 x 8.5
This paper is intended for:
- Anyone who wants to deconstruct the formulation of a life care plan for the purpose of critically analyzing its opinions and/or conclusions.
- 1. Introduction
- 3. Foundation
- 6. Superstructure
- 19. Mechanics
- 21. Systematic Deconstruction
- 23. Sources
Authors and Contributors
- Todd Cowen, MD, FAAPMR, CLCP, CPLCP
- William L Davenport, CHFP, CSFA, MBA Finance
- Joe G. Gonzales MD, FAAPMR, CLCP, CPLCP
- Chris Janssen, MD, FAAPMR, CLCP
Other AAPLCP Publications